SD The Great Battle II: Last Fighter Twin

When I was still in elementary school, mom used to take me to Hong Kong. That was the first time I ever set foot in a really big toy store. Toys R' Us was one of the biggest toy stores in the United States, and apparently Hong Kong had a franchise. I was really confused on what to buy because of my limited allowance during our stay there. And that was the first time I actually saw this game. My eyes were glued to the screen showing the demo loop of this game. During that time, I couldn't read Japanese, the only thing I knew is that it was a beat em up and it had Ultraman and Kamen Rider in it. I used to watch Ultraman in channel 2 and Kamen Rider Black in channel 13, I had no idea how many Kamen Riders there were or Ultramen during that time, I was not even aware that RX was an evolved version of Black.

Banpresto was known for their cross over titles like Super Robot Wars, Super Tokusatsu Wars, Super Hero Retsuden, SD The Great Battle series and more. They usually get characters from Tsuburaya, Toei and Sunrise and combine them all into one universe, this was the birth of the SD universe. By the way, they also got Godzilla to play soccer against Ultraman, it's really awesome!
Battle Soccer for the Super Famicom
I never had a Super Famicom during that time, so basically I bought one and used up my whole allowance during our stay in that country. Along with the system I bought two games, one of them was Super Mario World and the other was Last Fighter Twin. I couldn't wait to get home so that I could actually play this game. Guess what? when we got home, my Sony Trinitron had no RC cable connectors in it, it only had a RF cable connector at the back. Holy crud! I was so frustrated during that time, good thing my cousin had a RC connector compatible TV. I finally had a chance to play this game. So was it worth it? Heck yeah! It was actually one of the best games I ever played in my life, It was also one of the hardest I have actually played. I got to finish this with the help of my cousin.

So what was the first thing I liked about the game? It was actually the graphics. The cutscenes were awesome, the sprites were really done well and the backgrounds were colorful. There were pretty funny cut scenes of "Father of Ultra" and "Mother of Ultra's" wedding, Fighter Roa was the priest. Me and my cousin were laughing like heck when we saw it.
The Story:
The environmental system of the Side 3 space colony malfunctioned for an unknown reason, suddenly enemies popped up from nowhere and started attacking the colony. For some strange reason it seems that the enemies are more powerful than before. The whole SD nation is in chaos. Four heroes stood up to bring back peace. They are Ultraman Powered, Gundam F-91, Kamen Rider RX and Fighter Roa. With the blessing of the "King of Ultra" they set fourth to search for Gashapon Capsules. By collecting all the Gashapon Capsules, any wish would come true. The capsules are scattered across the planets and only they can retrieve it.


Gameplay:
The game has a single player and a co-op story mode. It uses a unique password system. This password shows up every 2 stages. There are only 3 continues per game and you can set the character to have up to five lives through the options menu.
The password system uses the four sides of the characters faces.
It is your usual beat em up. Punches are fast but cause minimal damage, kicks are slow but cause heavy damage, pressing kick while running would cause you to do a slide which will knock down multiple enemies, jump kicking can avoid projectiles thrown by the enemy and give them a heck of a counter attack, and finally holding down the punch button will charge up a projectile that knocks down enemies from a distance. Using the projectile would drain a bit of your life so spamming it is out of the question.
Hadoken! look it's got my face on it.
There are also special items called E capsules. Collecting four of them would give you access to a unique special attack. The more capsules you collect the more powerful attacks you can use. The special attacks work more like desperation attacks since the E capsules are pretty hard to find in this game.

Ultraman gives everyone the "Big Boot" literally.
The F-91 summons the power of the Psycho Gundam
Kamen Rider Trivia: RX was the first Rider to have multiple forms
This game also features combination desperation attacks if two players use the same level and activate it at the same time, I think their hands of the two characters should also be locked in the process.

The bosses featured in the game are also pretty famous. The first boss for example is Berga Giros from the Gundam F91 series. After that is Mephilas Seijin which is from the Ultraman universe. Shadow Moon the brother of Kamen Rider Black is also a boss in this game.

Berga Giros
Mephilas Seijin
The Verdict:
Personally, this one of the best games I have ever played. I have a bit of a problem with the controls though, there is a certain lag at times with the response, otherwise its still pretty good. The difficulty is challenging and the soundtrack is epic. I played it again recently, and in the end, I would still give this game a 9/10. I guess its a biased score due to my fandom kicking in because of the characters featured. But for me its solid game play and an unforgettable experience for my first game in a new console.

Comments

Popular Posts