Best Lines in Sam and Max Hit the Road


Point and click adventures were a staple back then, especially when you owned a PC. This genre started with a husband and wife team Ken and Roberta Williams, they wanted video games to be more than just blipping dots and alien invaders, they wanted to tell a story. This is when they started the company Sierra Entertainment. And in the early 80's to 90's the competition got a bit hotter when Lucasfilm games now known as Lucasarts started making point and click adventure games. I loved these Lucasarts adventures because they were not only funny, they were visually fantastic as well. One of those titles they released that I got so hooked on was Sam and Max Hit the Road. This game was based on the comic book Sam and Max the "Freelance Police" by Steve Purcell who was then a Lucasarts employee.

You talkin' to me?
This is one of the funniest games I have ever played, you have to think wacky in order to solve the puzzles. This was also one of those games that made me bust out a dictionary, the vocabulary in this game is intense, especially if English is not your first language. And believe me I only speak two languages, and I'm not fluent in either one HAHA!!

Here are those unforgettable lines from that game that make me laugh up to this day:

Max: Sam, either termites are burrowing through my skull, or one of us is ticking.
Sam: Oops, oh yeah.
[pulls out the scientist's head, which is a bomb]
Sam: Max, where should I put this so it doesn't hurt anyone we know or care about?
Max: Out the window, Sam. There's nothing but strangers out there.

[at a phone booth]
Sam: I don't have anyone to call.
Max: Call me, call me!
Sam: You'd have to get cellular.
Max: I'm pixular! It's better than cellular!
Sam: That was bad, Max. Really bad.
Max: Hey, who cares? I'M CUTE!

Trixie: Stay away from him, you malefactor!
Max: I'm not a malefactor, I'm a lagomorph!

Sam: Percent sign, ampersand, dollar sign.
Max: And colon, semicolon too!
Psychic: What are you (BLEEP)ing doing?
Sam: Swearing in longhand, asterisk-mouth.

Sam: Cash never leave home without it
Max: Yeah we may need it to bribe slippery government officials

Sam: My little buddy needs to use the facilities.
Max: Facilities be damned! I need a bathroom!

Max: I'll never shave again.
Sam: You never did.

Fisherman: Holy mackerel.
Max: I'm a trout, stupid!
Fisherman: Holy trout! I thought you were made of plaster!

Simple Trivia
  • The person who voiced Sam in this game was none other than Bill Farmer (voice of Goofy).
  • Two of the BGM heard in Snucky's are from another Lucasarts game called Day of the Tentacle, this was the sequel to Maniac Mansion.
Final Word

If you guys haven't played it yet, you should give it a try, I highly recommend it. You can purchase a copy from GOG.com for $5.99. The Telltale versions of Sam and Max were ok at most, but I feel Hit the Road is still superior.

Comments

Popular Posts